30 Daenerys Targaryen Quotes: Most Memorable Dialogues from the Iconic GoT Character
Daenerys Targaryen’s quotes are some of the most memorable and impactful from the popular series Game of Thrones. These quotes showcase the character’s growth from a timid young woman to a powerful and charismatic queen.
Her words of strength, determination, and justice continue to inspire and captivate fans long after the show has ended. Some of the most memorable Daenerys Targaryen quotes are showcased below.
Daenerys Targaryen, a key figure in the Game of Thrones, embodies courage, might, and charm. Starting out as a shy damsel, she transforms into a commanding figure driven by a fervent sense of righteousness to reclaim her family’s throne.
Best Daenerys Targaryen Quotes of All Time
Check these best Daenerys Targaryen quotes on love, power, justice, and more:
- Far more people in Westeros love you than love me. I don’t have love here. I only have fear.
- I am a Khaleesi of the Dothraki. I am the wife of the great Khal and I carry his son inside me. The next time you raise a hand to me, will be the last time you have hands.
- I can’t forget what I saw north of the Wall. And I can’t pretend that Cersei won’t take back half the country the moment I march north.
- I swear this: if you ever betray me, I’ll burn you alive.
- My reign has just begun.
- One voice may speak you false, but in many, there is always truth to be found.
- So, keep your queen warm.
- The next time you fail me will be the last time you fail me.
- They can live in my new world, or they can die in their old one.
- When I was a child, my brother would tell me a bedtime story… about the man who murdered our father. Who stabbed him in the back and cut his throat? Who sat down on the Iron Throne and watched as his blood poured onto the floor? He told me other stories as well. About all the things we would do to that man… once we took back the Seven Kingdoms and had him in our grasp.
- You are small men. None of you are fit to lead the Dothraki. But I am. So I will.
Inspirational Daenerys Targaryen Quotes
Here are some of the most inspirational Daenerys Targaryen quotes from the TV series:
- Do you understand? I’m no ordinary woman. My dreams come true.
- I am not your little princess. I am Daenerys Storm born of the blood of old Valyria and I will take what is mine, with fire and blood I will take it.
- I will answer injustice with justice.
- Lannister, Targaryen, Baratheon, Stark, Tyrell… they’re all just spokes on a wheel. This one’s on top, then that one’s on top, and on and on it spins, crushing those on the ground.
- I’m not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.
Daenerys Targaryen Quotes on Love
Check this sweet love quote by Daenerys Targaryen, lines she used to address her husband Khal Drogo with:
- Moon of my life, my sun, and stars.
Daenerys Targaryen Quotes on Dragons
Daenerys Targaryen is known for her pride in being the daughter of the dragon throughout the series. Here are some of her memorable quotes on dragons:
- He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon.
- I am Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, of the blood of Old Valyeria. I am the dragon’s daughter, and I swear to you that those who would harm you will die screaming.
- I have never been nothing. I am the blood of the dragon.
- No one will take my dragons.
- When my dragons are grown, we will take back what was stolen from me and destroy those who wronged me! We will lay waste to armies and burn cities to the ground!
Daenerys Targaryen Quotes on Queenly Duties
Here are some of the iconic Daenerys Targaryen quotes on her queenly duties:
- I will not let those I have freed slide back to chains. I will sail for Westeros… I will do what queens do. I will rule.
- It seems to me that a queen who trusts no one is as foolish as a queen who trusts everyone.
- My enemies are in the Red Keep. What kind of a queen am I if I’m not willing to risk my life to fight them?
Daenerys Targaryen Quotes on Men
Daenerys Targaryen carries strong hatred towards patriarchy and the injustice caused by men in power throughout the show. Check these famous Daenerys Targaryen quotes on men:
- A man who fights for gold can’t afford to lose to a girl.
- Any other man and I would have you executed – but you. I do not want you in my city, dead or alive.
- So many men have tried to kill me, I don’t remember all their names. I have been sold like a broodmare…Do you know what kept me standing through all those years in exile? Faith. Not in any gods, not in myths and legends. In myself. In Daenerys Targaryen.
- Woman? Is that meant to insult me? I would return the slap if I took you for a man.
- Yes. All men must die, but we are not men.
About the Character – Daenerys Targaryen
Daenerys Targaryen, also referred to as “The Mother of Dragons,” holds a prominent role in the renowned fantasy series, Game of Thrones. Born into a prestigious family, she transforms from a shy young woman into a mighty leader and becomes an embodiment of hope and righteousness for the oppressed.
Throughout her journey in the series, Daenerys endures numerous obstacles and difficulties yet remains steadfast in her mission to regain her family’s throne and govern fairly. By freeing slaves in Astapor, Yunkai, and Meereen, she garners the admiration and devotion of those she liberates, solidifying her status as a savior.
Daenerys embodies complexity as a character, her story marked by both victory and heartbreak. Her eventual descent into madness and death illustrates the perils of unchecked ambition and the destructive impact of power.
Despite this, Daenerys endures as a cherished and iconic character in the realm of Game of Thrones, her strength, charm, and determination forever etched in the minds of fans.
About the Actor – Emilia Clarke
Emilia Clarke is a British actress best known for portraying Daenerys Targaryen in the hit HBO series Game of Thrones.
She was born in London in 1987 and got her start in the entertainment industry after graduating from the Drama Centre London in 2009. In addition to her role on Game of Thrones, Clarke has also made a name for herself in other film and television projects.
Some of her notable works include the films “Me Before You,” “Last Christmas” and “Voice from the Stone,” etc. Clarke has garnered widespread recognition for her acting talent, having earned various awards and nominations throughout her career.
Among these accolades are an Empire Award, a Saturn Award, and multiple Critics’ Choice Award nods, with a total of three nominations to her name.
She has also received four Primetime Emmy Award nominations, further solidifying her status as a talented and sought-after performer.
Difference Between Daenerys Targaryen in the Books and the Show
The literary embodiment of Daenerys Targaryen, as depicted in George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series, stands in stark contrast to the fiery and impulsive television interpretation of the character.
Within the pages of the books, young Daenerys is plagued by self-doubt and an acutely introspective nature, constantly questioning her own actions and motives.
Conversely, the on-screen portrayal of Daenerys often embodies a fierce conviction and a willingness to resort to violence as a means to an end, a sentiment often opposed by those in her counsel who advocate for peaceful resolutions.
It is worth noting that the book version of Daenerys is also several years younger than her television counterpart and lacks the immunity to fire that is so iconic of her in the show.
Is Daenerys a villain or a hero?
The answer to this question is subjective and depends on one’s perspective. Some viewers see Daenerys as a hero, due to her bravery, leadership, and determination to reclaim her family’s throne. Others view her as a villain, due to her descent into madness and the ruthless actions she takes in pursuit of power.
What happens to Daenerys Targaryen?
In the series finale of Game of Thrones, Daenerys is murdered by Jon Snow.
Why was Daenerys murdered?
Daenerys was murdered because she became the “Mad Queen” and began to act in increasingly erratic and ruthless ways. Her actions put the lives of innocent people in danger and threatened the stability of the realm. Jon Snow ultimately kills Daenerys to prevent her from doing further harm.
Why did Drogo marry Daenerys?
Drogo married Daenerys as part of a political arrangement between her brother Viserys and the Dothraki. Viserys traded Daenerys to Drogo in exchange for the use of Drogo’s army in his quest for the Iron Throne. Over time, however, Drogo and Daenerys fall in love and form a genuine relationship.
What is Daenerys Targaryen’s backstory in Game of Thrones?
Daenerys was born in the free city of Pentos, the daughter of King Aerys II Targaryen and his sister-wife Queen Rhaella. When Daenerys was a young girl, her father was overthrown and killed in a rebellion, and her mother died giving birth to her younger brother Viserys. Daenerys and Viserys went into hiding and eventually ended up in the court of Illyrio Mopatis in Pentos.
Why does Daenerys want to reclaim the Iron Throne?
Daenerys believes that her family’s rule over the Seven Kingdoms was unjustly taken from them and that it is her rightful place to reclaim the Iron Throne and restore the Targaryen dynasty. She also sees herself as a just ruler who will bring peace and prosperity to the Seven Kingdoms.
How does Daenerys gain her army in Game of Thrones?
Throughout the series, Daenerys gains followers by freeing slaves, offering protection, and showing kindness. She gains the loyalty of the Unsullied, a group of highly trained slave soldiers, and the support of the Dothraki, a nomadic horse-riding culture. She also gains the loyalty of key allies like Ser Jorah Mormont and Daario Naharis.
What is Daenerys’ relationship with her brother Viserys?
Daenerys and Viserys had a strained relationship, as Viserys saw Daenerys as nothing more than a tool to help him reclaim the Iron Throne. He was abusive and cruel towards her, and their relationship worsened as the series progressed. Eventually, Viserys was killed by Khal Drogo, the leader of the Dothraki, after threatening Daenerys and her unborn child.
What are the dragons in Game of Thrones and how are they related to Daenerys?
The dragons in Game of Thrones are a species of large, fire-breathing reptiles that were once thought to be extinct. Daenerys is the “Mother of Dragons” because she hatches three dragon eggs and raises the dragons as her own children. The dragons become a symbol of her power and are a crucial aspect of her army and her journey to reclaim the Iron Throne.
What is the significance of the “Breaking of the Chains” scene in Game of Thrones?
The “Breaking of the Chains” scene is a pivotal moment in Daenerys’ journey as she frees the slaves of Astapor, a city in Slaver’s Bay. This act of kindness and bravery earns her the loyalty of the Unsullied and demonstrates her commitment to justice and equality.
What is the significance of Daenerys’ vision in the House of the Undying in Game of Thrones?
In the House of the Undying, Daenerys has a vision of the future that includes the Iron Throne and the Red Keep in ruins. This vision foreshadows the eventual fall of King’s Landing and the eventual fate of the Iron Throne. It also hints at Daenerys’ own destiny and the challenges she will face in her quest for the throne.
What is Daenerys’ stance on slavery in Game of Thrones?
Daenerys is fiercely against slavery and views it as a moral wrong. She frees the slaves in Astapor, Yunkai, and Meereen, and offers them protection and freedom under her rule. Her stance on slavery is a key aspect of her leadership and her reputation as a liberator.
How does Daenerys’ relationship with Jon Snow develop in Game of Thrones?
Daenerys and Jon Snow’s relationship develops gradually over the course of the series. At first, they are cautious and wary of each other, but as they continue to work together and face challenges, they come to trust and respect each other. Eventually, they fall in love and form a romantic relationship.
What role does Daenerys play in the Battle of Winterfell in Game of Thrones?
Daenerys plays a crucial role in the Battle of Winterfell, as she leads her army and dragons into battle against the Night King and his army of the dead. Despite facing heavy losses and difficult challenges, Daenerys remains determined and inspires her allies to fight on. Her bravery and leadership are instrumental in the eventual defeat of the Night King.
How does Daenerys’ character change over the course of Game of Thrones?
Over the course of Game of Thrones, Daenerys goes through a significant character transformation. She starts off as a timid young woman and grows into a powerful, confident, and charismatic leader. Despite facing challenges and setbacks, she remains determined and unwavering in her quest for the Iron Throne.
Why does Daenerys become the “Mad Queen” in Game of Thrones?
Daenerys becomes the “Mad Queen” after experiencing numerous setbacks and losses in her quest for the Iron Throne. The death of her closest advisors accelerates her descent into madness, the betrayal of Jon Snow, and her own overwhelming desire to claim the Iron Throne and rule justly. In the end, Daenerys becomes consumed by power and rage, ultimately leading to her downfall.