50 The Notebook Quotes: Most Popular Dialogues from the Timeless Romantic Film
This collection of ‘The Notebook’ quotes includes some of the most memorable and heartwarming lines from the beloved romantic film.
Based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook tells the story of Allie and Noah, two young lovers whose deep connection and unshakeable love for each other withstand the test of time and distance.
These quotes capture the essence of their love, and have resonated with audiences around the world.
Best Quotes from The Notebook
Here are some of the best quotes from the beloved romantic drama, ‘The Notebook’:
- That’s my sweetheart in there. Wherever she is, that’s where my home is.
- You are a song, a dream, a whisper and I don’t know how I could have lived without you for as long as I have.
- You are and always have been, my dream.
- She made me who I am and holding her in my arms was more natural to me than my own heartbeat.
- What easy way?! There is no easy way. No matter what I do, somebody gets hurt!
- Will you stop thinking about what everyone wants?! Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want? What do you want?
- I’m gonna ask you one more time, will you or will you not go out with me? I think my hand’s slipping.
- Will you do something for me, please? Just picture your life for me? years from now, years from now? What’s it look like? If it’s with him, go. Go!
- Read this to me, and I’ll come back to you.
- I’m not afraid to hurt your feelings. You have like a second rebound rate.
- You know I want to give you all the things you want. But I can’t. Because they’re gone. They’re broken.
- Because I might know you a little better than you think. And I don’t want you wakin’ up one mornin’ thinkin’ if you’d known everything you might have done somethin’ different.
- I lost you once, I think I can do it again. If I thought that’s what you really wanted. But don’t you take the easy way out.
- You are every reason, every hope, and every dream I’ve ever had, and no matter what happens to us in the future, every day we are together is the greatest day of my life.
- He is trash! Trash! Trash! Not for you!
- It’s not about keepin’ your promises, and it’s not about followin’ your heart. It’s about security.
- I didn’t spend seventeen years raisin’ a daughter and givin’ her everything, so she could throw it away on a summer romance!
- I couldn’t sleep last night because I know that it’s over between us. I’m not bitter anymore, because I know that what we had was real.
- I could be fun if you want. I could be pensive, uh… smart, superstitious, brave? And I, uh, I can be light on my feet. I could be whatever you want. You just tell me what you want, and I’m gonna be that for you.
The NoteBook Quotes by Noah
Noah Calhoun, played by Ryan Gosling, is the male lead in ‘The Notebook.’ He is a passionate and devoted lover, who goes to great lengths to win back the heart of his former flame, Allie. Noah’s unwavering love and determination make him a memorable and iconic romantic hero. Here are some of his most memorable dialogues from the movie:
- If you’re a bird, I’m a bird.
- I wrote you letters. I wrote you every day for a year…it wasn’t over, it still isn’t over!
- So it’s not gonna be easy. It’s going to be really hard. We’re gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever. You and me, every day.
- I can be fun, if you want. Pensive. Smart. Uh, superstitious, brave. And, uh, I can be light on my feet. I could be whatever you want. You just tell me what you want, and I’ll be that for you.
- You don’t know me, but I know me. And when I see something that I like, I gotta…I love it. I go crazy for it.
- The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds. And that’s what you’ve given me. That’s what I’d hoped to give to you forever.
The Notebook Quotes by Allie
Allie is the female lead in ‘The Notebook,’ played by actress Rachel McAdams. She is a young woman from a wealthy family who falls in love with Noah, a poor but ambitious young man. Despite the social and economic differences between them, Allie and Noah’s love is strong and unbreakable. Check out these famous dialogues by Allie from the movie:
- You gotta be kidding me. All this time, that’s what I’ve been missing? Let’s do it again.
- It was real, wasn’t it? You and me. Such a long time ago, we were just a couple of kids. But we really loved each other, didn’t we?
- Most of the time I have all these thoughts bouncing around in my head, but with a brush in my hand, the world just gets kinda quiet.
- This is just a fight we’re having and tomorrow it’ll be like it never happened, right?
- Allie: What happens if a car comes? Noah: We die. Allie: We don’t have any music. Noah: Well, we’ll make some.
- I can’t play chopsticks if you’re doing that.
The Notebook Quote by Martha
Martha is the neighbor of the male protagonist, Noah, in the movie. Here is her famous dialogue from ‘The Notebook’:
- A woman knows when a man looks into her eyes and sees someone else.
The Notebook Quotes by Duke (Older Noah)
Noah, who goes by Duke in his old age, is a wise and kind-hearted man who narrates the love story of Allie and Noah to his ailing wife Allie, who suffers from dementia.
Despite his advanced age, Duke’s love for Allie remains as strong as ever, and he is dedicated to telling their tale in the hopes of reminding Allie of the love they shared in the past. Here are some beautiful dialogues by Duke from the movie:
- Look, guys. That’s my sweetheart in there. I’m not leaving her. This is my home now. Your mother is my home.
- I am no one special. Just a common man with common thoughts. I’ve led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect, I’ve succeeded as gloriously as anyone who ever lived. I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul, and for me, that has always been enough.
- Science goes only so far and then comes God.
- Duke: How’s it hanging Harry? Harry: I keep trying to die, but they won’t let me. Duke: Well, you can’t have everything.
- They didn’t agree on much. In fact, they rarely agreed on anything. They fought all the time and they challenged each other every day. But despite their differences, they had one important thing in common: They were crazy about each other.
- I think our love can do anything we want it to.
- Southern summers are indifferent to the trials of young love.
The Notebook Quote by Older Allie
Older Allie, played by veteran actress Gena Rowlands, is a kind and loving woman who is struggling with the effects of Alzheimer’s disease. Despite her declining memory, she remains fiercely devoted to her husband, Noah, and their enduring love story. Here is one of her memorable dialogues from the movie:
- Do you think that our love can create miracles?
The Notebook Quotes by Lon Hammond
Lon Hammond is a wealthy lawyer who was Allie’s fiancé and represents the safe and comfortable choice for her future. Despite not being able to match the intensity of Noah’s love for Allie, Lon is a kind and understanding person who ultimately wants what is best for Allie’s happiness. Here are some famous quotes by him from ‘The Notebook’:
- It’s normal not to forget your first love.
- The way I see it, I got three choices. One, I can shoot him. Two, I can kick the crap out of him. Or three, I leave you. But all that’s no good. You see, ’cause none of those options get me you.
- I’ll have you know that I am an excellent dancer and my intentions are completely dishonorable.
- If you marry me then you will have lost a lifelong battle of defiance against them.
Love Quotes From the Notebook
‘The Notebook’ remains one of the best romantic movies of all time. Here are some of the most beautiful love quotes from the movie:
- We fell in love, despite our differences, and something rare and beautiful was created.
- Sometimes we need to be apart to understand just how much we truly love each other.
- I love you. I am who I am because of you.
- Poets often describe love as an emotion that we can’t control, one that overwhelms logic and common sense. That’s what it was like for me.
- I will always be yours.
- If in some distant place in the future we see each other in our new lives, I’ll smile at you with joy and remember how we spent a summer beneath the trees learning from each other and growing in love.
About the Movie – The Notebook
The Notebook is a romantic drama film released in 2004, based on the novel of the same name by Nicholas Sparks. The film follows the story of two young lovers, Allie and Noah, who are separated by circumstances but are unable to forget each other.
The film is told in two timelines, with the present-day story featuring an elderly man named Duke reading a notebook containing the story of Allie and Noah to an elderly woman in a nursing home.
The Notebook stars Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams as Noah and Allie, and features supporting performances from James Garner and Gena Rowlands as the elderly Duke and the woman in the nursing home.
The film was a commercial and critical success, and has become a classic love story that has resonated with audiences around the world.
About the Book – The Notebook
The Notebook is a romance novel written by Nicholas Sparks. It was published in 1996 and has since become a widely popular and beloved story. The novel tells the tale of Noah Calhoun and Allie Nelson, two young people from different worlds who fall in love despite the obstacles that stand in their way.
As they struggle to stay together and make a life for themselves, their love is tested by distance, societal expectations, and their own personal demons. The Notebook is a poignant and moving love story that has captured the hearts of readers around the world.
About the Director – Nick Cassavetes
Nicholas David Rowland Cassavetes is a multifaceted artist known for his work as an actor, director, and writer in Hollywood. Born on May 21, 1959, Cassavetes has had a successful and varied career in the entertainment industry.
Some of his most notable directorial efforts include the films She’s So Lovely (1997), John Q. (2002), The Notebook (2004), Alpha Dog (2006), and My Sister’s Keeper (2009).
As a filmmaker, Cassavetes has a reputation for tackling difficult and emotionally charged subjects with sensitivity and insight. His films often explore complex relationships and the enduring power of love, making them both thought-provoking and deeply moving.
About the Author – Nicholas Sparks
Nicholas Sparks is a bestselling American novelist, screenwriter, and philanthropist. He is known for writing emotionally powerful and romantic novels, many of which have been adapted into successful films. Some of his most popular works include The Notebook, Message in a Bottle, A Walk to Remember, and The Last Song.
Sparks has sold over 100 million copies of his books worldwide, and many of his novels have spent several weeks on the New York Times bestseller list. He is also the founder of the Nicholas Sparks Foundation, which supports education and global initiatives.