90+ The Queen’s Gambit Quotes: Iconic Dialogues from the Critically Acclaimed Web Series
Step into the mesmerizing world of chess and drama with ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ – a Netflix original series that will captivate you from start to finish.
With unforgettable performances, stunning visuals, and powerful The Queen’s Gambit quotes that will stay with you long after the end credits roll, this series is a must-watch for any fan of the game and beyond.
Best Quotes from The Queen’s Gambit
Here are some of the most memorable quotes from The Queen’s Gambit:
- They want us to beat Communists for Jesus.
- That’s what family does, it’s what we are.
- You are a marvel, my dear.
- I’m raging inwardly.
- What’s the last thing they said to you before they died?
- I know that, at this moment, all you’re feeling is loss but after grief brings you low, prayer and faith will lift you high.
- We have a dozen members, and I was suggesting to Mrs. Deardorff that you come along and play all of them in a simultaneous.
- I’m stoned. I shouldn’t be speaking a foreign language.
- Instead of the usual Black cleaning woman, they wanted a clean, Black woman, with a nice ass and a good vocabulary.
- I knew you were going places, and that meant something to me.
- You’re not entitled to everything I own just ‘cause I signed some papers to shut her up.
- I know, me, a lawyer, but the world is fucked up.
- Sure you wouldn’t rather just steal it?
- I’ve flirted with alcohol most of my life. If anything, I think it’s high time I consummated the relationship.
- Once I drive away, I’m not coming back.
- Orphaned by yesterday’s collision on New Circle Road, Elizabeth Harmon surveys a troubled future.
- Green’s to even your disposition. Orange and brown is for building a strong body, take ‘em both.
- You can beat that…fucker.
- I find the onion slightly more refined than the olive.
- I will be subtracting what I paid to bury Mother. I’ll show you the receipts.
- Oh, and dear, be a good girl and get that little bottle of green pills by my bedside.
- For crying out loud what you still doing in bed? You’re gonna miss breakfast. -Mr. Fergusson
- You honestly believe our daughter belongs in a trailer in the middle of nowhere? – Paul
- Mr. Ganz told me I beat them all in an hour and twenty minutes. It felt good, I’ve never won anything before.
- Shit, I make out just fine right here. – Jolene
- She is the model Methuen girl. -Mrs. Deardorff
- That right there is a bone in the throat. – Benny
- I’m pretty sure they’re fucking.
- I think I’ll have just one margarita before I go out.
- Alma laying on the couch with a drink. the queen’s gambit
- Sometimes, I drink more.
- You have to get past me first.
- I can’t make up my mind which one is more handsome.
- I want to play the best.
- Oh, and about sex…forget it.
- You adopted me. Can’t you talk to me?
- Saving is a good lesson for a girl to learn.
- Because it’s fucking nonsense?
- Beth at a chess tournament the queen’s gambit
- You replay the game so you can feel the wins for yourself.
- I was so proud of myself when I found an error in a Morphy game, and now someone’s done it to me.
- Is there anyone you’ve met that you’d like to trade rooks with, or whatever?
- Just be careful what you smoke, honey.
- I feel bad, I owed him 10 dollars.
- Poor man has to travel quite a bit these days, but as he likes to remind me, it keeps the roof over our heads.
- Can they send me back if you no longer have a husband?
- I don’t want to set it up and think it out.
- You’ve really helped me.
- What surprised me was how bad they played.
- You destroy everyone you play, Harmon.
Beth Harmon The Queen’s Gambit Quotes
Beth Harmon, the orphaned protagonist of Netflix’s “The Queen’s Gambit” series, discovers her prodigious talent for chess while growing up in an orphanage in the 1950s.
Through her journey to become the world’s greatest chess player, she also grapples with personal demons, including addiction, and ultimately learns to confront them in order to achieve her goals.
Here are some of the best Beth Harmon quotes from the series:
- Do you see it now or should we finish this on the board?
- I analyze games. What actually happened, not what could have happened.
- Don’t you want to know how she died?
- I would say that it’s much easier to play chess without the burden of an Adam’s apple.
- Yes, but chess can also be beautiful.
- Where’d you get that from, a fortune cookie?
- I wanted to show that fucking pirate that I could beat him even though I didn’t play the way he thought I should.
- What if I kick you in the crotch?
- Alma was not pathetic, she was stuck. There’s a difference.
- If I lived here, I would go to plays, and concerts and I would eat lunch in a different café every day.
Alice Harmon The Queen’s Gambit Quotes
Alice Harmon, a troubled soul and the biological mother of Beth Harmon, is a tragic figure in the Netflix series “The Queen’s Gambit.”
A divorced wife of Paul and a resident of a trailer in Wakefield, Kentucky, Alice’s life was marred by personal demons, ultimately leading to her untimely death in a vehicular suicide, leaving her daughter Beth to navigate life alone.
Check out these quotes by Alice Harmon from the series:
- It takes a strong woman to stay by herself in a world where people will settle for anything, just to say they have something.
- The strongest person is the person who isn’t scared to be alone.
- You just let them blow by, and you go on ahead and do just what the hell you feel like.
- Someday, you’re going to be all alone, so you need to figure out how to take care of yourself.
- Close your eyes.
Mr. Shaibel The Queen’s Gambit Quotes
Mr. Shaibel is the reclusive janitor at the orphanage where Beth Harmon grows up. He teaches her the basics of chess and becomes her mentor. Despite his gruff exterior, Mr. Shaibel recognizes Beth’s natural talent for the game and influences her to become a chess prodigy.
- Girls do not play chess.
- You’ve got your gift and you’ve got what it costs.
- To tell you the truth of it child, you’re astounding.
Harry Beltik The Queen’s Gambit Quotes
Harry Beltik is a chess prodigy from a small town in America, who becomes a pawn in the cutthroat world of competitive chess. He is a complex and flawed character, struggling with his own demons as he navigates the high stakes world of international chess tournaments.
- Anger is a potent spice. A pinch wakes you up, too much dulls your senses.
- I know you’re better than me but if you’re gonna play the soviets, you need help.
- You’re the reason I got my teeth fixed.
- It’s chess, we’re all prima donnas.
Benny The Queen’s Gambit Quotes
Benny is a supporting character in the Netflix series ‘The Queen’s Gambit.’ He is a chess prodigy and close friend of the main character, Beth Harmon. He plays a crucial role in her journey as a chess player, acting as both a mentor and a rival.
- Most people think about chess players they think about people who look like you.
- Highest rated players in the whole fucking country and yet here we are at some second-rate university, playing on cheap plastic boards with cheap plastic pieces.
- You’re the best there is.
- Hey assholes, this is costing me a bundle.
- You know if you keep doing this, you’re gonna end up washed up by the time you’re 21.
- Maybe is a loser’s word, Beth.
- Us Americans, we work alone because we’re all such individualists.
Alma The Queen’s Gambit Quotes
Alma Wheatley, a close friend and confidant to the show’s protagonist Beth Harmon, is a complex and layered character whose personal struggles and relationships add depth to the story of ‘The Queen’s Gambit.’
- Though I am no longer a wife, except by a legal fiction, I believe I can learn to be a mother.
- I’m not Aristotle but yes, I think something could be construed as wrong.
- I don’t know why my body is so intent on sabotaging my brain when my brain is perfectly capable of sabotaging itself.
- My tranquility needs to be refurbished.
- Intuition can’t be found in books.
- You know, perhaps, Beth, you have to work on yourself.
Jolene The Queen’s Gambit Quotes
Jolene, portrayed by Moses Ingram, is a childhood companion of Beth Harmon in the all-girls orphanage, Methuen Home, where they both spent their formative years. Here are some quotes by Jolene from The Queen’s Gambit:
- Wow, you really were the gold standard for white-trash girls everywhere, weren’t you?
- Nobody’s gonna come for us now, were too old or too black.
- He wants to marry me, as soon as he divorces the wife he’s already got.
- For a time, I was all you had and for a time, you was all I had.
- Looks like you’re doing a lot more than pills honey.
Borgov The Queen’s Gambit Quotes
Borgov is the reigning World Chess Champion and the main antagonist of the series The Queen’s Gambit.
He is portrayed as a highly skilled and confident player who seems almost unbeatable, but his arrogance and lack of empathy toward his opponents make him a formidable and complex character.
Here is one famous quote by Borgov from The Queen’s Gambit:
- It’s your game, take it.
Townes The Queen’s Gambit Quotes
Townes is the charismatic and charming chess prodigy who becomes a close friend and rival to the main character, Beth Harmon, in ‘The Queen’s Gambit.’ With a sharp wit and a talent for the game that rivals Beth’s, Townes adds a thrilling element of competition to the series and is a standout character in this captivating show.
- But, um, what I really wanted was for us to be friends and yet you kind of broke my heart.
- Jesus Christ, Harmon, you’re humiliating my rook.
- Consider me your second. What do we need to do to help you beat Borgov?
- You really are something, you know that?
- You’ve grown up Harmon. You’ve even gotten good looking.
- Looks like we’ve been stalking each other.
Cleo The Queen’s Gambit Quotes
Cleo is a chic and elegant French fashion model whose paths cross with Beth Harmon’s during a glamorous soiree at Benny Watts’ New York apartment. The two women meet again in the City of Lights, Paris, where Cleo is a spectator at the 1967 Remi-Vallon chess tournament.
- A sad story involving me, a bad breakup, and a walk through le Jardin du Luxembourg, where those two stopped me from killing myself.
- No woman can compete with Benny’s love for himself.
- Fashion is exciting. Modeling and models are insipid.
About the Web Series: The Queen’s Gambit
The Queen’s Gambit is a Netflix original series that tells the story of Beth Harmon, an orphan who discovers her exceptional talent for chess and rises to become one of the greatest players of all time.
The series is set in the 1950s and 1960s and follows Beth as she navigates the competitive and often cutthroat world of chess, all while battling her own personal demons. With a captivating plot, rich period detail, and outstanding performances from the cast, “The Queen’s Gambit” is a must-watch for fans of drama, chess, and coming-of-age stories.
About the Novel: The Queen’s Gambit
The Queen’s Gambit is a powerful coming-of-age story that delves into the life of fictional female chess prodigy, Beth Harmon. Written by Walter Tevis in 1983, the novel explores themes of adoption, feminism, chess, drug addiction, and alcoholism.
The story follows Beth as she rises through the ranks of the competitive chess world while also grappling with her own personal demons.
Set in the 1950s and 1960s, the novel paints a vivid picture of the era and offers a captivating look into the world of chess and the challenges faced by a young woman trying to make her mark in a male-dominated field.
About the Showrunners: Scott Frank and Alan Scott
Written and directed by Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit is a masterful adaptation of the 1983 novel of the same name by Walter Tevis. Frank, who also created the series with Allan Scott, brought a unique vision to the project, captured the novel’s spirit, and brought it to life on screen.
Allan Scott had been trying to get the book on screen since 1992 when he purchased the screenplay rights from Walter Tevis’s widow. His dedication to the project paid off as he and Frank were able to create a series that was not only true to the source material but also added new elements and depth to the story.
They both served as executive producers alongside William Horberg, who brought his own wealth of experience in film and television production to the project. Together, the team created a series that captivated audiences and received critical acclaim for its performances, direction, and storytelling.
About the Author: Walter Tevis
Walter Stone Tevis was a celebrated American novelist and short story writer known for his powerful and evocative storytelling. Throughout his career, he wrote six novels, three of which were adapted into critically acclaimed major films: The Hustler, The Color of Money, and The Man Who Fell to Earth.
These films received critical acclaim and several Academy Award nominations, cementing Tevis’ legacy as a master storyteller. In 2020, one of his most celebrated works, The Queen’s Gambit, was adapted into a highly successful miniseries with the same title, shown on Netflix.
The series received universal acclaim and was praised for its performances, direction, and storytelling. The adaptation was a fitting tribute to Tevis’ writer legacy and helped introduce his work to a new generation of readers and viewers.
Whether you are a chess enthusiast or simply a lover of great storytelling, these quotes offer a glimpse into the human psyche, delving into the complexities of the world we inhabit. They remind us of the power of perseverance, the importance of determination, and the resilience needed to overcome the obstacles that life throws our way.
The quotes from the series provide a fresh and unique perspective on the world and the people around us, inspiring us to delve deeper into our own thoughts and emotions.